Friday, April 12, 2013

Out of the Miry Clay

I arrived home yesterday from the beautiful country of Colombia.  I can honestly say I left part of my heart there.  With my 2 beautiful girls, of course, but also with the hundreds of wonderful children we met throughout the week. The stories we were told were simply amazing.  The hearts of the children and young adults in and out of the Compassion program were indescribable.  

I was struck by the deep need of the children and families of CO341. I was amazed at the four floors of classrooms at the project and how they make do with the conditions they have.  Yet the heart and desires of the students and their tutors could bring a smile to anyone's face that would light up the whole world.  The excitement and sincerity during worship and the companionship during free time proves that the hand of God is on this place.  Our group spent the day with these children and visited the homes of three families.  The conditions of the town and the homes make you wonder how they even survive, yet they are happier than most Americans.  The joy of the Lord was so evident in this place of devastation.  In the middle of the drug trade and violence there was peace.  In the middle of poverty there was hope.  I could see it on the faces of the children--on the face of the mother who prays for her lost son, and rejoices for her prodigal who has come home.   I could see it in the eyes of the pastor who has been threatened and ridiculed yet spoke at the funeral of the man who brought on the most difficulty.  This place was special.  In the midst the danger, drugs, and all the demons of this world sits a shining light. A beacon in the darkness.  Beauty out of the miry clay.  These children have hope.  They have the hope and love of Jesus Christ and their sponsors.  But not all of them have sponsors, someone to love them, write to them, and show them that they are special, cherished, and created for a purpose that only they can fulfill according to God's promise.

Camilo



Camilo is 10 years old.  His birthday is April 3rd.  His father is in prison and his mother has to work to support the family.  He runs errands and cleans at home.  He enjoys soccer, telling stories, and playing group games.  




I remember seeing Camilo at the project, he was hanging back toward the end of the day.  I don't have any photos of him, but he stuck in my memory so I had to bring his packet home with me.  He needs the love of a sponsor, someone to show him he really matters.



Luisa



Luisa is 8 years old.  Her birthday is August 2nd.  She lives with her mother, father, and 2 siblings. Her father is sometimes employed and her mother stays home.  She makes beds and cleans at home.  Luisa enjoys playing with dolls, bicycling, and reading.



I don't recall seeing Luisa at the project the day we were there, however, it is possible I just didn't recognize her if she has grown since this photo.  Her darling little face just begged me to bring her home and do what I could to find her a sponsor.

Please let me know if you are interested in sponsoring one or both of these beautiful children who have hope, but need the love and encouragement of a sponsor. 

He lifted me out the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.  He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.  Psalm 40:2