Sunday, July 22, 2012

Diving In!

I have only been an Compassion Child Advocate for a short time and my first opportunity to meet other local sponsors and volunteer for a Compassion event was June 30th.  I signed up to help at one of the display tables at the WFRN Friend Fest-a 2-day outdoor music festival near my home town.  Just having been through my advocate training, I was familiar with the procedures yet still not sure what to expect.  I signed up in the middle of the day so that should be easy right? No set up, no tear down, just 4 hours connecting sponsors to children. 

Well, the experience was beyond my wildest dreams! Not only did I get to see a 7 year old boy's eyes light up when I told him his family's new sponsored child would be so excited to find out he had a sponsor, but I met wonderful sponsors and advocates to share stories with! I spent the majority of my 4 hour block talking to people sharing stories and explaining Compassion. Once my time was up, I grabbed some dinner, and expected to watch Mandisa, Tenth Avenue North, and Casting Crowns with my friends.  As I passed the main Compassion tent by the big stage, I told the workers if they needed help, I was near-by should they need more help. They were as new as I was to helping at events and welcomed the extra help.  So, needless to say, I spent another 6 hours with this group of sponsors and even participated in the  "packet pass."  It felt like our little tent got mobbed as we matched 115 children with new sponsors! It was such an amazing experience I cannot wait to volunteer again!